check out the amazing work of Japanese illustrator,

Ryohei Yanagihara   
b. 1931










  


ABOUT
Ryohei Yanagihara was a prolific illustrator who created numerous book covers and other print work. He went on to become a major figure in Japanese independent animation in the early-1960's as well as becoming the main illustrator for Japan's shipping company, MITSUI O.S.K. LINES. Yanagihara also designed over 40 movie title sequences. Ryohei's work has a strong formal graphic sensibility that owes a lot to other mid-century masters such as Miroslav Sasek, Paul Rand and Saul Bass. In many ways, he's the like unsung godfather to many of today’s great designers and illustrators.





 



Ryohei's intro, taken from the Mitsui O.S.K. lines museum site:

Hello, this is Ryohei Yanagihara. Thank you very much for your visit. 

In 1948, what were you doing? Many of you were not even born, I am sure. It was the year I visited O.S.K. Line (today's MOL) for the first time. As a ship-happy boy, I wrote letters to many shipping lines. The warmest response came from OSK. The ship-happy boy grew into a ship-happy young man, then into a ship-happy middle aged, and into what I am now.
For over a half century since, I have drawn many pictures of ships. If I may boast a little bit of them, my ship pictures may look just casual sketches, but in fact they are based on real blueprints. This makes me a ship-happy artist, not just an artist.
This museum displays cutout art works which are full of my emotion. In the Museum library, you will find my essays which, I am sure, will make you understand what my emotion is like. There are a lot more of works by this artist, ship-happy for over a half century. I will add more to the exhibits and fill the library racks. Do look forward to them.
Thank you.
- R. Y.  www.mol.co












































______________________________________________________________

you just saw the Brilliant SHIP-HAPPY BOY work of :





Ryohei Yanagihara